Frequently Asked Questions
Please find a selection of commonly asked questions regarding Loft Conversions and Loft Conversion Work.
- Q1. Can I get a free estimate?
- Yes, our estimates are free and are valid for 1 month.
- Q2. Is my roof high enough for a conversion?
- If you stand on the ceiling joist directly below the apex of your roof and measure from the ceiling joist to the underside of the apex you will require a minimum of 2100mm.
- Q3. Will I require planning permission?
- You may require planning permission or a certificate of lawful development. This will be determined by our Architect.
- Q4. Can I convert my trussed rafter roof?
- Usually we can but this requires additional support to the rafters which is included in our design.
- Q5. Can I view completed loft conversions?
- Yes, we have hundreds of completed jobs and our surveyor will be able to arrange for you to view a property of similar design in your area.
- Q6. Can you arrange for electrics, plumbing and heating to be included
in the quotation?
- Yes, we can arrange for electrics, plumbing and heating to be included in your loft conversion. All our electricians and plumbers have the appropriate certification to carry out the work.
- Q7. How long does the planning process take?
- Full planning applications take approximately 3 months and the certificate of lawful development takes approximately 8 weeks.
- Q8. Will I have to move out of the house during the building works?
- No, the construction of your loft conversion is carried out from the outside, all materials are taken into the loft through the roof, and the only time we are working within the living quarters of your home is when we fit the staircase at the end of the construction period. Therefore it is not necessary for you to move out of the house during construction.
- Q9. Will the work be supervised?
- Yes, all our work is supervised by us. This gives you the opportunity to discuss any alterations you may wish to have during the construction of your new room. We also assure that the quality of the work is to the standard of our company.
- Q10. Is your work guaranteed?
- Yes, all the work carried out by this company carries our company guarantee. As we are members of the Federation of Master Builders you have the option to take up additional cover.
- Q11. Can I have a part conversion so I can complete the works myself?
- Yes, we can provide a package that includes planning, approvals, structural floor, stairs, and dormer/Velux. This is a minimum package which enables you to complete all the internal works yourselves.